Eggs are some of the most nutritious foods out there. You can get your dose of protein from the egg white while you can get your fat and cholesterol intake from the yolk. Depending on what you want to cook, the recipe may call for the egg whites to be separated from the yolk. (Or perhaps you just prefer eating only the egg whites).
This is where the challenge begins. There are so many ways to separate the yolk from the egg white. Here are 3 popular ways, but…which is the best method?
The Egg Shell Method
With this method, you essentially crack and break the egg shell in half, and then you use the shells to separate the yolk. Your goal is to essentially roll the egg yolk back and forth between the egg shell halves. In the process, the egg white will scrape across the edge of the eggshell half and falls off while the yolk stays in the egg shell “bowl”.
- No need for tools (except for the egg shell halves)
- Very cost effective
- If not careful, the egg shell edge might puncture the yolk which will leak into the bowl of egg whites
- Requires some precision and skill
The Hand Method
For this technique, you basically use your hands to separate the yolk. First, crack open the egg and let it sit on your hand. You then allow gravity to cause the egg white to fall between your fingers while the egg yolk sits in your hand. Lastly, you will need to pass the egg yolk back and forth between hands to get more egg white to fall off.
- Very cost effective method
- All you need is your hands
- Can be a bit messy (unless you do not mind hands getting dirty)
- Requires some skill
- Accidental drop of yolk which might burst in pool of egg whites or fall on kitchen counter
- Some egg white might be stuck to the yolk still
The Suction/Vacuum Method
This technique requires a tool. The most cost effective tool is to use an empty water bottle. Simply squeeze the bottle to create a vacuum. Then you hover that squeezed bottle over the egg yolk. Let go of the squeeze on the bottle (without dropping the bottle). Watch as the yolk gets sucked into the water bottle.
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)
If you prefer a fancier tool than the water bottle, you can purchase a cuter looking tool like the egg yolk separator that resembles an animal!
- Yolk gets separated very clean.
- Fun to use if you like tools
- Does not require too much precision and skill
- The need to use an external tool like an empty water bottle or egg yolk separator.
- With the bottle, you can throw away after using it. With the egg yolk separator, you’ll have to wash (fortunately, it doesn’t take a long time).
What IS the Best Method?
There is no best method. They all get the job done by separating the yolk from the egg white. It all just comes down to what your preferences are. Therefore, use what works for you!
When it comes down to what is the best technique for separating the egg yolk, there really isn’t one method. While one techniques works extremely well for one person, it might not be so for another.
Some individuals prefer the minimalist method of just using only what one has. This can take some skill and practice. Others might prefer fancier tools like the egg yolk separator tool.
Ultimately, use the technique that is most comfortable to you and that will guarantee the best result. Don’t be afraid to try new techniques too, you might discover a method that you will really enjoy!
Did you enjoy this article? What method works best for you? Please leave a comment below!