Since the pandemic struck in 2020, we have been a little more cautious with infectious diseases. We started practice better hand hygiene, wearing masks, and even social distancing. Because we implemented these practices (and of course with the help of vaccinations), we started to see a reduction of COVID-19 cases.
Although scary, it is also quite fascinating how diseases in general are often cause by something so small. Something microscopic actually, like bacteria, virus, fungi, and other microbes’. Their goal is to basically spread by multiplying and certain species produce byproducts that can be harmful to a person’s health.
The methods we have been using to control these critters are quite advanced especially in the fields of medicine. The most fearful thing is when the microbes’ somehow mutate and become resistant to current treatments. Even with the best medicine available today, there is no perfect way to protect one’s health.
Germs are everywhere we go and we should have a good habit of practicing the methods above. But are there additional ways to further protect one’s health from various diseases? There are!
6 Additional Methods to Protect One’s Health From Infectious Diseases
Carefully Prepare Foods When Cooking
- Make sure all meats are thoroughly cooked.
- Washing of fruits and vegetables.
- Thoroughly disinfecting any surface that came into contact with juices from meats.
- Refrigerating foods that are not being consumed (remember to let it cool down to room temperature before storing).
- Refrigerated foods should be kept up to 3 to 4 days ONLY, toss if any longer.
- Freezing when foods will not be consumed for some time.
- Here is a source for how long to freeze certain foods.
Disinfecting Surfaces that are Touched Often
- Use disinfectant wipes often on areas of the home like doorknobs, kitchen surfaces, bathrooms, etc.
Being Updated on Vaccinations
- If you build the antibodies for certain diseases, it means a shorter duration of sickness period (if you happen to get infected).
Using Tools that Help Purify the Air
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)
You can purchase something like the Aeris Air Purifier. It is what it sounds like: it purifies the air you breathe. Unless you live in a vacuum, there are all kinds of microscopic things that can exist in the air we breathe. COVID-19 was a virus that could travel by air momentarily when someone coughs or sneezes, hence we keep the distance.
When momentarily entering/exiting the home, many types of particles and germs can enter the home. The air purifier will help to filter potentially harmful germs or debris in the air. It will interfere with the microbes’ ability to replicate or divide. The machine is also very quiet so you can still sleep with it on.
Keep a Distance from Wild Animals/Bugs
- They are not necessarily treated with vaccinations so they can potentially carry ANY type of disease. Be careful not to get bit by them.
Use Antibiotics ONLY as prescribed
- When taking antibiotics, one hopes to target ONLY the infectious agent, kill it, and feel better quickly. Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite work that way. When taking such drugs, it would be wise to see it as a nuclear bomb for the germs within our body. That means both good AND bad germs will be affected.
- The worse thing to ever happen is if the bad germs are resistant to the drugs. That means what has been controlling the bad germ population is the amount of good germs that are already present in your body. Now, what if one carelessly takes antibiotics which end up killing the good germs? There is no longer any competition for the bad germs and they will thrive and infect the body.
Although COVID-19 has been a difficult time for many, it has taught us how to be more aware with infectious diseases. We followed the advice from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Center For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). There was a reduction in COVID-19 cases in most areas. We basically did our part to be as safe as possible from disease.
Although washing of hands, wearing a mask, and social distancing are great ways to stay safe from disease, there are other ways as well. There are tools like the Aeris Air Purifier that can assist with that. Hope you continue to make all these methods a habit to protect yourself and your family.
Did you enjoy this article? Do you already own an air purifier at home and noticed a significant difference? Perhaps some reduction in your allergies? (Click here to learn about allergies.)
In addition to the air we breathe, there is another source in the home where microbes’ can thrive in. Find out where here.
There is also something that we use every day and it happens to be the most germ infested. Click here to find out what it is here and how to clean it.